Tag Archives: Passport Visa

Could You Work in a Foreign Country to Pay for Travel?

Of course you could! There are plenty of opportunities for travelers who want to work overseas especially if you speak English or better yet, are bilingual. But to work abroad there are some things to consider before you go.


1. Find out if Americans can work in the country you intend to travel to. Not all countries allow foreigners to work there while they are visiting.

2. Get a work permit. This documentation is different from your passport or visa. You can organize a work permit before you leave home or once you arrive in the country you want to work in. This will depend on where you intend to work. 

3. If you are a traveling student, it may be easier to get work through a student work exchange plan. Or you may even be able to organize a transfer through your company to work abroad. If so, all the leg work will be done for you.

4. If you have a particular job in mind, in a particular country, then you will need to do some research and contact potential employers before you go. If you do find someone wishing to employ you before you leave on your travels, get them to send you a letter stating the employment offer with a copy to their respective government. You will then be issued with a work permit for that country.

5. Consider working as a volunteer on your travels. Volunteer organizations are looking for helpers to assist with programs all over the world. You will be paid by the organization (usually just transport, food and board expenses), not the country you are going to. You do not need a work visa to be a volunteer in these programs.


If you are going to work overseas while traveling, register with the nearest embassy in the country you are visiting. Make sure you find out about the country you will be working in. Know if there are any travel warnings, political unrest and cultural conditions you should be aware of before you go. What immunizations do you need? Find out about the local laws, including employment legislations. And don’t forget that while earning an income overseas, you will be subject to that country’s tax laws.


Will you need to drive for your job overseas? If so, you will have to arrange an international driver’s permit. You must also take with you your valid American driver’s permit. All countries handle driving a little differently so check out what rules you’ll need to abide by to drive in your country of choice. 


Working while traveling is a great way to immerse yourself in the culture of the country you are visiting. Be organized if you want to subsidize your travel budget dollar in this way. Don’t forget you can always offer to work in hostels in exchange for cheaper (or even free) board as a way to supplement your traveling costs.


This article is brought to you by: Stuart S. Travel – Your Online Travel Guru


By: Stuart S. Travel

Stuart S. Travel / Your All World Online Travel Guru:
Sherry Hardesty has been a professional flight attendant for over 15 years. Her experience is extensive and she provides professional travel consulting and booking services at http://www.stuartstravel.com